What are the basics?

  • CareLinx is an online platform that allows clients to become your direct employer after hire. CareLinx is not your employer. This distinction is important to keep in mind as you may work with multiple clients.

  • The IRS does not consider In-Home Domestic Workers independent contractors (1099).

  • Only if you have worked for one of our applicable health partner programs, you'll qualify to receive a 1099 if you have made more than $600 from a program.

  • You have access to all your pay stubs, regardless of the status of your connection with a client. You can access all pay stubs in the Payment section of your account under Financial Activity. 

    • See the Deductions/Expenses section on your pay stub, to view anything that is withheld from your pay.

  • Clients that join CareLinx are given the option to sign up for HomeWork Solutions (HWS), which is a tax preparation service. 

    • If they don’t sign up for HWS, your client is responsible for whatever tax form you may require. However, you’ll still have access to your pay stubs to assist with your tax reporting. 

  • If you don’t know whether a client you have worked with or are currently working for is signed up for HWS, you may call CareLinx and we will let you know. 

What taxes may be withheld from my pay?

  • FICA taxes

    • FICA taxes = Social Security + Medicare

  • Unemployment (depending on the state)

Reminder💡: If FICA taxes are not withheld from your pay, your employer is responsible for them. However, you cannot opt out of them when they are withheld.

What taxes are not withheld from my pay?

  • Federal income tax

  • State income tax 

  • Your income taxes are not withheld, and you’ll be responsible for these at the end of the year.

Tip💡: We recommend you save at least 10% of your earned wages to pay your taxes at the end of the year. 

Who gets a W-2 and why?

  • A W-2 is required if your wages are above $2300 with a client, or if your client has paid above $2300 for all home care services in an entire calendar year.

    • NOTE: This wages threshold may increase from year to year.

  • If you and your client do not meet the W-2 threshold, your pay stubs are sufficient for your tax purposes.

  • Remember, a caregiver working for multiple families may meet the W-2 threshold with some clients but not all which means they’d only receive W-2’s for the clients they made over $2300 with. 

  • If your client is enrolled in HWS, HWS is responsible for getting you a W-2 electronically and by mail. You should have received an email invitation from "support@homeworksolutions.com," which will direct you to the HWS Employee Self-Service Online Portal to access your W-2.

    • If you cannot find this email invitation, or you're having trouble logging in, simply click the "I Forgot My Password" link on this login page and you will be sent a new email with a temporary password. 

What’s the bottom line?

  • W-2’s are not required if you and your client do not meet the W-2 threshold.

  • If your clients are enrolled in HWS, then HWS will provide the W-2 if required.

  • If your client is not enrolled in HWS, your pay stubs are sufficient as a receipt to file a 1040.

  • If you have worked for one of our applicable health partner programs, you'll qualify to receive a 1099 if you have made more than $600 for a program.

  • You are still responsible for reporting your wages and filing an income tax return even if you did not receive a form W-2.

ℹ️  If you are still having trouble or have any other questions, please send us an email at support@carelinx.com with a detailed description of your issue and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Did this answer your question?